Thursday, September 8, 2011

#1: Background Information

This is a blog about my recent trip to North Korea, aka The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).  This is the "bad" Korea (axis of evil) that you hear about in the news and despite it's name, it is neither a democracy or a republic.  The "good" Korea is South Korea which is officially known as The Republic of Korea and while they are not a perfect country and have some issues, they are a democracy with clean and free elections.

I have always had a great interest in North Korea and their reclusive leaders.  In fact, it's probably actually a borderline unhealthy obsession!!!  I also am typically a bit of a skeptic when it comes to trusting what I hear about other countries from the media and the government.  For these reasons, I decided to satisfy my curiosity and go see North Korea for myself.  I spent 7 full days in the country and filled an entire notebook of stories, observations and thoughts.  I have decided to post this blog in an effort to both inform my friends about my trip (without having to tell the same stories 100 times), while also sharing a personal viewpoint on this secretive nation to whoever else stumbles across this blog.

It was quite a big decision to actually start posting this blog and one I've not entered into lightly.  There are two reasons for this:

1-  I would actually like to go back someday.  If it were discovered that I posted this, it is very possible that I might be considered a journalist and not be granted a visa (especially since I may share some negative impressions on this site)

2-  Safety.  Not my own safety, but the safety of my guides while I was there.  When you travel to North Korea, you are only allowed to travel with a tour group.  In addition to the tour group leader, the North Korean government also provides a number of "guides" to accompany you in country (more on these guys later).  Essentially the guides are there to make sure you don't take pictures of negative things, don't speak to locals and spew the propaganda at you about how wonderful it is.  If it were know who my guides were, it is again quite possible that THEY and their families could be punished for my negative views.

So, that's the brief background of me and why/how I am doing this.  I'm trying to keep it all anonymous, but will open a private email account at some point to answer questions as well.

Next up will be a brief history lesson on DPRK which is essential to be able to understand the current situation on the Korean peninsula.


No comments:

Post a Comment